Starting in 2018 Studio Kink is introducing a new Advanced Rope Stream to our curriculum. These courses are only available to students who have completed our entire beginner and intermediate progression or by invitation. If you are unsure if you have the required skill level to attend these classes please talk to a Studio Kink Team Member.
Each month a different member of the Studio Kink Team will present a different progression on a field of Japanese Style Rope Bondage that they are specialise in or are passionate about.
From dynamic suspensions and intense floorwork through to topics like tying for performances these courses will take your rope to the next level.
This course is offered in the following formats.
- A series of 4 classes. One each Thursday night beginning at 7pm and ending by 9pm. The first class of the course is the first Thursday of each month. You can either buy tickets to each class individually or you can purchase a pass for the entire month (at a discount)
- A Saturday Intensive. Starting 1pm one Saturday per month and finishing 5pm, we run an intensive version of this course. It is the exact same content as the Thursday night version just condensed.
The Studio Kink Team can also arrange private one on one tuition to cover the same content. For more information about this option please contact a Studio Kink Team member.
Advanced Rope FAQ
What do I need to wear?
We recommend comfortable, casual clothing that allows you freedom of movement. What you would wear to the gym or yoga would be fine.
Do I need to come with a partner?
While not required, we strongly recommend bringing someone to practice with. In order to learn how to tie with the correct tension and adapt the tie to individuals, practicing in class and receiving feedback from an instructor is invaluable.
What if I don't have a partner to bring?
We recommend arranging in advance to come to the class with someone who you can practise with during the class. This can be a partner, friend or fellow student. If you can not think of anyone then we recommend posting on social media such as Fetlife.
Do I need any previous experience?
The intermediate course has some prerequisite skills. For the intermediate course you need to be proficient with the content of our beginners course. This means you should be able to tie: single column, inline cuff and join rope. If you are unsure then either speak to a Studio Kink Team member or attend one of our beginners classes.
The Advanced class requires students to have either completed our Intermediate course or be invited by a Studio Kink Team Member. If you have not completed the Intermediate course but wish to attend the advanced then please express your interest to the Studio Kink Team and they can advise you on the suitability of the Advanced course.
Do I need to bring rope?
Yes. Each person intending to tie needs to bring at least 4 pieces of 7 to 8 m long jute. If you are unsure if your rope is suitable then please show it to a Studio Kink Team member and ask.
Where can I purchase rope?
Studio Kink stocks DV8 natural Jute which the entire team recommend. Alternatively this can be purchased from the online shop here
What if I want to be tied up?
We recommend that people who want to be tied attend this course too, it will give you a better understanding of Japanese Rope allowing you to make better informed decisions about safety and the skill of potential rope tops
What if I can’t make four Thursday nights in a row?
We offer this course in an intensive format one Saturday per month. You can also attend the progression over the course of a few months. Alternatively you can book a private class with one of the team members to catch up.
How do I find Studio Kink?
Check out the location page. Studio Kink is located in an access controlled building. Doors open 15 minutes before classes are scheduled to start. If you have not been to the Studio before we recommend coming 10 minutes before class starts so that you have plenty of time to find the entrance and so that a team member can show you around the Studio before class starts.
Do I need to buy a ticket for my practice partner even if they are not tying?
For all Studio Kink events unless explicitly stated otherwise, tickets are per person. This has been factored into the cost of tickets. We believe in doing this for a few reasons:
- sometimes people don’t want to come as couples, they can come as onesomes, twoesomes or moresomes
- when people do come with a partner we don’t assume that one partner is covering the full cost. We encourage people to work this out between themselves but believe by not bundling tickets this makes it easier
- we believe that top, bottom, rigger, model, bunny, switch or anything in between are of equal importance we are an equal opportunity teaching studio and everybody learns something from whichever role they assume.